I miss my mum colorless assam fish soup, so thought of serving it differently this time but maintaining the tasty appetizing soup quality....Yeah! I decided to serve the soup with blanched beehoon to create a complete meal for the day.
This soup may not be recommended for too young kids as it has a spicy and sour flavor. The hot and spicy feel comes from chilly padi, ginger and the sour flavor comes from tamarind skin or alternatively use the salted mustard green (kiam chai), this will give a powerful sour taste. Kiam chai is Not recommended for those who has gastric, it is very acidic.
What do you require :
- Fish head - chopped into pieces or any medium size fish - cut into cutlets
- 3 stalk Lemon grass (serai)
- 6 Chilly Padi (small green chilly)
- Thumbsize ginger - slices
- 3 pieces Assam keping (dried tamarind skin)
- 1 Tomato - for garnishing
- sprig of chinese celery - for garnishing
Simple Process :
- Boil 1.5litre of water in a pot, put in the smashed lemon grass, chilly padi and slices of ginger and tamarind skin over medium heat for 20 mins
- Add in chopped fish head / fish cutlets and boil over low heat for another 15 minutes, add salt to taste
- This sour fish soup must be served HOT....
** Just add in blanched beehoon if you wish to create a complete meal with the soup just like what I did.
Have an Appetizing Meal!