Friday, March 20, 2009

Ah Mah Fish Curry



Here comes the delicious Fish Curry for a change. I love this curry as it is an original recipe from my grandma's kitchen, pass down to my mum and now I " inherited" it...wah, so lucky...hahaha. It is truly appetizing as it has a good blend of natural sweetness from the fish, taste the spicy and sour flavour gravy to grrrrrr the palate.....

Again, being a lazy and busy mum, I dont have the time to gering (to grind) the rumpah (grinded spices) using batu gering (ancient stone grinder) but instead modern society has made many things much easier for us, that's great. I have a simple and easy approach to cook this Fish Curry without sacrificing the original taste. Most important I ensure the critical part of cooking this dish is not missed. I believe my late grandma will definitely be proud of me as my mama gives me compliment for my Fish Curry....no joke, my mum dont simple praise as she is a good cook...


What you require:


  • 2 bawal hitam (black pomfret) - cut into cutlets
  • 10 lady's fingers (kacang bendi)
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 2 sprig of curry leaves

  • 2 small pkt FISH curry powder (brand Babas is recommended)
  • 6 red chillies
  • 4 big onions
  • some assam juice (tamarind) - amount to suit your preference

How do you cook it :


  1. Grind the red chillies and big onions together. Put it in a bowl and mix it together with the Fish curry powder to form a curry paste

  2. Heat up a little oil in the wok over low fire, add in the curry paste, curry leaves and "tumis" (stir fry) till fragrant

  3. Add in 2 soup bowl of water and stir the mixture well, add the tamarind juice, add the fish and let it simmer over low fire for 15 minutes

  4. Simultaneously, blanch the lady's fingers in boiling water till it softens lightly

  5. Drop the lightly soften ladies fingers, tomatoes wedges into the curry, stir well for 5 minutes and it is ready to serve

** Complement with dark soya sauce on your rice together with your fish curry



Have a Good Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment