We all love this signature dish of my grandma, it is a typical Nyonya dish and a healthy dish. No fuss of cooking is required here, it is just exactly how we make a salad. The main ingredients are shredded chicken, black fungus and mix in a unique dressing of pounded chilly, roasted shrimp paste and lime juice plus kerisik (fried pounded grated coconut). It is a typical Nyonya salad, taken as an appetizer or act as a dish to be taken with rice.
This is a simple process of making the "kerisik" or roasted grated coconut **
All you need :
- 1 pc chicken breast meat
- 3 black fungus (bok nee) - soak and cut into fine strips
- 10 shallots - cut into fine slices
- 5 red chillies - pounded with 1 thumbsize roasted shrimp paste
- 6 lime - extract juice
- 1/4 grated coconut - roast it and pound **
- salt to taste
Simple Process :
- Steam the chicken and when it is cool, hand shred it
- Put all the ingredients for dressing - pounded chilly with shrimp paste, lime juice, slices of shallots and salt - in a big bowl
- Mix well the dressing and add in the shredded chicken
- Finally, add in the kerisik (pounded roasted grated coconut)
- Ready to Serve....