Lengkuas aka in English as Galangal
A nice aroma root plant belonging to the "ginger family" except it does not have a hot taste. Mostly found in Nyonya or Thai cooking, it produces a nice aroma when cook...
We all love this Nyonya chicken dish especially the tasty gravy, it goes well with hot rice. My grandma call this speciality of hers as Lengkuas Ayam.
It is a simple recipe and very easy to cook just need to simmer it under low heat to extract the fragrance of the lengkuas (galangal). A truly homecook dish.
What you require:
- 1/2 chicken - chopped into pieces
- 2 Thumbsize lengkuas - cut into slices
- some dark soya sauce
- some pepper and salt to taste
Simple Process :
- Put the slices of lengkuas into the pot of hot boiling water - about 500 ml and let it boil for 10 minutes
- Add in the chicken, dark soya sauce, pepper, salt and simmer it over low heat
- Check occasionally to ensure there is sufficient water, if water dries up, just add a little water. Let it simmer till meat is cooked.
- You may add in a little cornstarch to thicken the gravy - your preference.
Enjoy this Nyonya dish with hot rice.....