Beautiful sweet colored non spicy chicken which has lots of nice crunchy water chestnut (ma-tai) in it. Water chestnuts are crunchy and sweet in flavour. This savoury chicken dish goes well with steamed rice and it is very simple and easy to cook. The drained chicken were marinated for about an hour before cooking. The seasoning are simply made up of light soy sauce, fermented beancurd (tau ju), sesame oil, cooking wine, pepper, sugar, salt and some cornflour.
Extracts from the website : Water chestnuts - The knobby vegetable with the papery brown skin is a staple in Chinese cooking. The water chestnut is actually not a nut at all, but an aquatic vegetable that grows in marshes. Nutritionally, water chestnuts are a good source of potassium and fiber. They are low in sodium, and fat is virtually non-existent.
All you need :
- 2 pieces chicken breast meat - cut into pieces
- 10 water chestnut - cut into small pieces
- some chopped spring onions - for garnishing
- some red chilly - for garnishing
- 1 thumbsize ginger - chopped
- 4 pips garlic - chopped
Seasoning for the chicken : 1Tbs light soy sauce, 1 pc fermented beancurd (tau ju), 2 Tsp sesame oil, dash of cooking wine, dash of pepper, some sugar, salt and 1 Tbs cornflour
Simple Process :
- Marinate the chicken with the seasoning for 1 hour before cooking
- Heat the wok and saute the garlic, ginger till aromatic and add in the marinated chicken
- Stir fry and add a little water, the water chestnut and simmer the chicken over low heat for the next 20 minutes or till gravy thickens. Do stir occasionally..
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and red chilly
Have a Enjoyable Meal....