In the olden chinese community, fish maw is considered a delicacies and normally served during Chinese Lunar Year or during special family occasion.
Here is to share a little about Fish Maw. The photo below is dried fish maw which has already been fried and it is the same which I used for my dish.
extracted from chinesefoodrecipe.com
Fish Maw plays the role of a texture ingredient like the sea cucumber in Chinese food, fish maw is actually the air bladder of large fish, the function of which is to regulate water and oxygen flow so that the fish can ascend or descend in the water. The price of fish maw is far from cheap and it's one of the luxury ingredients in Chinese cuisine.
Like a lot of ingredients in Chinese culinary traditions, the fish maw is also regarded as a nourishing tonic that helps blood circulation and beneficial to the general health.
All you need :
- 1/2 chicken - chopped into pieces
- 4 pcs of dried fish maw - soak well and blanched before use
- 8 pieces of chinese mushroom - soak well till soften
- some ginger slices
- 3 Tbs oyster sauce
- 1 Tbs cooking wine
Simple Process :
- Soak for 2 hours the dried fish maw or till it soften, then blanch it in hot boiling water - set aside
- Heat the wok with a little oil and saute the ginger, add the chicken, chinese mushroom, add a little water and oyster sauce and allow it to simmer over low heat for next 15 mins
- Add in the blanched fish maw, cooking wine and allow it to further simmer for another 10 mins
- To thicken the gravy, add a little cornstarch and it is ready for serving
Enjoy a happy meal