Wow.....we love this dish, it's rich and taste super delicious. The 5-spice powder gives a very good aroma to the dish. This dish is also known as "woo tau kow yuk" - in cantonese, it is layers of yam and pork laid together. There are many ways of preparing this dish but I prefer the few simple steps and but foregoing the most important process that is marinating well the meat before cooking. This dish goes well with hot rice as the gravy is real rich and it is very aromatic.
What you need :
- 800gms pork belly - cut into 8cm in length
- 1 small yam - cut into slices
- 6 pips garlic - chopped
Seasoning for the meat : Marinate meat for 2 hours
- 1 Tbs 5-spice powder
- 2 pc red fermented beancurd (tau ju)
- 2 Tbs dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbs cooking wine or brandy
- some sugar - to taste
Simple Process :
- Marinate the meat for at least 2 hours before cooking
- Take out the marinated meat and keep the sauce aside **(A)
- Heat the wok a little oil, and lightly fry the meat on both sides
- Also, lightly fry both sides of the yam
While the meat is steaming, prepare the sauce. Heat the wok with a little oil and saute the garlic till aromatic, add in the sauce ** (A) and simmer till sauce thickens. Lastly, when steaming is over, pour the sauce onto the meat and yam. Here you are, a Beautiful Delicious PorkBelly with Yam Slices - "Woo Tau Kow Yuk"
Have a Happy Meal!