Lotus Roots are quite commonly used in Chinese cooking. I love to make lotus root chicken soup with red dates and accordingly to my mum lotus roots has lots of nutritional values. There are few ways of making delicious meal using the Lotus Roots. I have this simple recipe, it is braised Lotus Roots with Chicken...sure, it is extremely tasty, try it.
This is a short extract I obtained from this website Chinese Food Recipe. "Lotus Roots also stops diarrhea, clears Heat and improve appetite. Lotus roots contain much iron, vitamins B & C. The rich fibre content of lotus roots stimulates peristalsis and relieves constipation. Drinking 2 to 3 glasses of lotus root juice a day can stop bleeding of the esophagus an stomach (vomiting blood); bleeding of the rectum, intestines or stomach (blood in feces); nose bleeding or gum bleeding".
All you need :
- 2 pcs chicken breast meat or 1/2 chicken
- 2 medium size lotus roots - cut into slices
- 5 pips garlic / 1/2 pc fermented beancurd (tauju) /1 tbs fermented soy bean
- 2 Tbs plum sauce
- 2 Tbs oyster sauce
Simple Process :
- Blanched the slices of lotus roots in boiling water for 5 minutes
- Heat a little oil and saute chopped garlic, fermented beancurd, fermented soy bean till aromatic
- Add in the chicken, blanched lotus roots, plum sauce, oyster sauce, stir to mix well
- Add a 1/2 cup of water and let it simmer over low heat till lotus roots soften and by then chicken would be cooked too
- When it is almost ready, add in some cornstarch to thicken the sauce
- Ready to Serve with warm rice