This dish is made up of fried fish cooked in a beautiful savoury-sour gravy. It is very appetizing and goes well with steam rice. It is one of my favorites which I have learnt from my grandma - supposedly a dish from a Nyonya kitchen. The gravy is made up of well blended ingredients of garlic, ginger, soy bean paste and tamarind juice. The colour may be a little dull but the taste is yummy! Well, because it is so simple to cook and tasty too, that's the reason I enjoy preparing it. Care to try?
Tips: The two types of fishes that goes well with this recipe is either ikan kurau (threadfin) cutlets or ikan bawal hitam (black promfret) where it can be deep-fried.
The ingredients required for 3 - 4 pieces of fish cutlets are :
- 2 Tbs soy bean paste - minced finely
- 1 clove garlic - chopped finely
- 2 thumbsize ginger - shred finely
- 1.5 Tbs tamarind paste - add 1/4 cup water
Simple Process :
- Deep fry the fish cutlets or whole fish till golden brown, set aside
- Heat a little oil, saute together the garlic, soybean paste and ginger till aromatic
- Add in the tamarind juice and let it simmer for 2 minutes
- Lastly, put in the fried fish and allow it to simmer for another 5 minutes
- Ready to serve with hot steam rice
Enjoy Your Meal..........