Look at this beautiful appetizing sour-sweet flavoured vegetarian dish, suitable for all ages. It is simple and easy to prepare recipe. We all enjoyed a good meal with this dish, the kids love it greatly. The gravy that I have made is from my grandma recipes' collection and it is called "Balanda" and normally cooked with the fried salted fish. It consist of big onion, garlic and some slices of red chilly saute till fragrant, then added with tamarind juice and a little sugar, cornstarch to thicken the gravy....So with a little innovation, I have used the same recipe for the vegetarian salted fish instead!
Basically this packet of "vegetarian salted fish" is made up of seasoned beancurd wrapped in beancurd skin and a layer of seaweed, obtainable from any vegetarian grocery shop or hypermarket. It is wonderful to add "meatless" dish once a while as to add varieties on the dinning table.
All you need :
- a packet of the vegetarian salted fish - cut into slices
- 1 big onion - cut into wedges
- 4 pips garlic - cut into slices
- 1 red chilly - cut into slices
- 1 Tbs tamarind paste - add with a little water
- sugar to taste
Simple Process :
- Heat the pan with some oil and lightly fried the vegetarian beancurd - set aside
- Heat the pan with a little oil and saute the onion, garlic and chilly till aromatic
- Add in1/2 bowl of water, add the tarmarind, a little sugar to taste
- Bring to a boil, add the cornstarch to thicken the gravy
- Pour the gravy on top of the lightly fried vegetarian beancurd
- Serve immediately with steamed rice
A Simple Tasty Vegetarian Salted Fish
Have an Appetizing Meal!